Thursday, August 7, 2014

Adventures In Salmon

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and there has been a truth about me that I've always been embarrassed to admit: I don't like salmon.

Well, at least I didn't. Recently, my opinions have changed, and I'm beginning to find myself, regularly, thinking: "man... I could go for some salmon."

The real crazy truth? I actually got my beautiful bride to enjoy it as well. Each time I tell Tenielle that I'm about to make salmon, and ask her if she'd like something else, her response is the same - "Salmon for me too!!"

When I lived in Hawaii, there was a dish that I grew to love called "lomi lomi salmon." It's basically raw salmon diced super super small and combined with onions and tomatoes and spices. Most true Hawaiians eat it with poi. That's where I drew the line. Lomi lomi salmon began my training in the pursuit of salmon love, even though it took years before I really set out to figure out a way to enjoy it. The other style of salmon that I really enjoyed was smoked salmon. There is something about walking down the corridors of Pike's Place market, and smelling that wonderful smoked salmon smell, that you can't help but love! But that's as far as it went.

I began to realize a couple months ago that because I enjoyed RAW salmon, maybe, just maybe I had only eaten it in restaurants, etc., when it was overcooked. I talked to a few salmon loving friends, and they assured me that I was probably correct.

I then began looking for ideas to give this a shot, and make it on my own, and try to make something that I could enjoy. For two reasons: 1, because I live in the Pacific Northwest. 2, because of the health benefits. Everyone knows that salmon is SUPER good for you, so why not learn to love it.

Without further ado, I present to you the first salmon recipe that I ever enjoyed - Pan Seared Salmon with a lemon dijon beurre blanc. If you want the full meal deal, you can also serve up some fresh green beans mixed with baby reds.

I'm gonna be real honest before we get started here. The health benefits that come with this fish are great, but all the butter you're about to use might just negate those benefits... just sayin...

PAN SEARED SALMON WITH LEMON DIJON BEURRE BLANC AND SAUTEED GREEN BEANS WITH BABY REDS

Salmon:
Ingredients:
2 Sockeye or Atlantic Salmon Filets, Skin On
Salt & Pepper
Canola Oil
1 Cup Dry White Wine
Juice Of 1 Lemon
1 Shallot, Diced
1 Tbl. Heavy Cream
2 Tbl. Dijon Mustard
12 Tbl. Butter, Cut Into Chunks, kept cold until ready to use

Green Beans and Baby Reds
Ingredients:
1 Lb. Fresh Green Beans
2-3 Lbs. Baby Red Potatoes, cut into 2" chunks
2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
2 Tbl. Butter
Salt & Pepper to Taste.

Directions:
Heat the oven to it's lowest setting. Bring two large pots of salted water to boil. Cook the green beans for 5 minutes, and then drain. Cook the potatoes for 10 minutes and drain. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter with the 2 Tbl. Olive Oil. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and green beans, and mix well to coat with oil and butter. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place in an oven save serving bowl, and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.

To a smaller sauté pan, add the white wine, lemon juice and shallots. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Add heavy cream and dijon mustard, and stir well. With heat set at low, begin to add the butter, one cube at a time, and whisk until melted. Continue until you've used all the butter. Keep the sauce warm while you cook the salmon.

Salt and pepper the salmon, and then add a splash of canola oil to a pan. Heat on Medium high, and when ready add your salmon skin side down. Cook for 4 minutes. Flip the salmon, and then continue to cook for 3 more minutes.

After the salmon has cooked, begin plating by adding some of the green bean/baby red mixture to a plate. Place one of the filet's on top, and then add the beurre blanc to the top of the fish. Serve immediately and enjoy!!

Because Eating Good Is A Calling Of It's Own, 
The Fat Pastor


No comments:

Post a Comment